Back to top

Thurrock 22 TWRUFC Colts 18

14th Sep 2019, KO 13:00

Thurrock Away

Photo of Colts vs Thurrock Away

Match Report & Information

On Saturday a combined under 17 / under 18 Wanderers team travel to Thurrock RFC for a reciprocal fixture at a very warm Oakfield Park Grays.

Last season's game at St Peter's was a thumping good contest and this proved no different where both teams demonstrated commitment, effort and endeavour in equal doses.

However it was Thurrock who struck first after only 10 minutes with the number 10 dancing through several would-be tacklers before scoring in the left corner taking 2 defenders with him. The conversion was missed.

Wanderers responded 9 minutes later with a regulation penalty in front of posts by centre James Crompton.

Not long after this Thurrock's influential captain and number 2 bulldozed his way over to the right of the posts, this conversion was also missed.


Thurrock continued to show their dominance in the first half with the majority of possession and after 32 minutes following another period of sustained pressure their number 12 wriggled past three Thanet Wanderers tacklers to score under the posts.

This was converted taking the half-time score to 17-3.


The Wanderers first half performance was littered with dropped passes and missed tackles. The second half was quite a different story but it was again Thurrock who scored first after 45 minutes following a strong forwards effort for ultimately their big number 5 to drive over from short range. The conversion attempt was missed.


Then after 50 minutes the ball was turned over by Thanet Wanderers on the left who swiftly shifted it through four pairs of hands to Fran Gillespie on the wing who still had 45 yards to make the line, he stretched his legs to score impressively in the corner. The conversion attempt was missed.


Some 5 minutes later the same scenario developed, Gillespie found himself clear on the right-wing only to be brilliantly taptackled some 3 to 4 yards short however, the young man had the presence of mind to collect himself and dive over for his and Wanderers second try. Conversion missed.


The score was now 20-13 and Wanderers were now controlling matters with speed of thought sensible decisions and bags of effort on this very hot day.

Then after 67 minutes and great work from the forwards, Wanderers mounted a long sustained effort on the Thurrock line culminating in Fin White going over close to the posts.


This conversion was missed leaving the score at 22-18 with only one play to go.


This in the end was the final score, Wanderers had met a strong and classy team in the shape of Thurrock but there was much to be proud of with a powerful finishing display taking them very close.


Match Details


14th Sep 2019





Report Author

Ron Beck

Live Match Updates

Click here