Match Details

23rd April 201711.00amCanterbury17-22U14sEast Kent Cup FinalA

Having finished 5th in Kent this season but losing narrowly to winners, Old Elthamians, the East Kent Cup was the final chance of silverware for the U14s. Previous rounds had seen convincing victories over Medway and Dover.

The first 10 minutes was an equal affair with both sets of forwards involved in some physical battles. But it was the city side who struck first when a pass was intercepted and Canterbury's pacy open-sided scampered 50m to score.

Wanderers struck back quickly when the ball was moved wide right and centre, Cameron Beck got on the score sheet. 5-5.

After the restart and a number of phases in the opposition 22, once the ball was moved through the backs, winger Tom Piggott got away but was hauled down. Leon Munt pounced to score at the ensuing ruck.

The conversion was missed but Wanderers led 10-5.

Then a restart from Wanderers was poorly gathered and gave Canterbury a chance which they took to score and level the score at half time at 10-10.

The second half was started strongly by Thanet and fly half, Jack Cave was pegging Canterbury back with some astute tactical kicking.

All of the Wanderers side were stepping up and only injury saw 2 replacements being made; Jack Cohen came on at full back for Billy McHattie whilst 2nd row Joey Rigden came off for Finlay Lycett.

Both made an immediate difference with Cohen making ground in the centre field with Lycett being destructive in the tackle and ball-carrying areas of the game.

From a 5m line out, captain Harrison Leach came around the open-side and his leg drive in the tackle saw him take 3 defenders over the line to dot down. 15-10.

Shortly after the lead was increased. After another indiscretion from Canterbury and an awarded penalty, Leach took the initiative and drove in from 15m out. This time, Cave slotted the extras and Wanderers led 22-10 with 8 minutes on the clock.

Canterbury were not finished and after they worked an overlap on the left, their nippy winger got clear and sprinted under the posts for a converted try and reduce the Thanet lead to 22-17.

Wanderers executed a fine regain from the kick-off and when scrum half, Leon Doody kicked the ball into touch, the celebrations started.

Tries: Beck, Munt, Leach 2

Con: Cave

Team: Murray, Marshall, McCourt-Welsh, Munt, Rigden (Lycett), Keyworth, Leach (c), Lee R. Doody, Cave, Crompton, Durrant, Beck, Piggott, McHattie (Cohen).

Subs: Lawless, Mills, Peters, Rigden F, Ferguson.

Venue: Whitstable RFC.

Written by: Ian Lodge

Sign up to the TWRUFC Newsletter
London and SE 3 - 2017-18
Latest Results more
Aylesford Bulls19-151st XVA
Deal & Bettes0-96U16sA
Next Fixtures more
24/031st XVHastings / BexhillH3.00pm
24/032nd XVMaidstoneA3.00pm
24/033rd XVHastings / BexhillA3.00pm

For any information regarding senior or junior rugby, sponsorship packages or membership, please contact us or call us on 01843 868857.

Contact Details

01843 868857

St Peter's Recreation Ground
Callis Court Road
CT10 3AE

Social Media

Website by

Broadbiz Web Services Ltd. logo
London Array logo